- The National Weather Service is tracking a developing coastal low expected to pass near the 40/70 benchmark Wednesday night, which could mean ‘warning level’ snowfall across the region.
Would-be thieves cut copper lines in vacant downtown Riverhead building, cause oil spill on Peconic RiverfrontThe spilt oil discharged from a sump in the building into the parking lot storm drains, then percolated to the surface after heavy rains earlier this week, Riverhead Fire Marshal Craig Zitek said.
- Now a 45-year-old HR executive with an international company, Willy Saelan of Jakarta, reflects on his year as an exchange student in Riverhead, 1987-1988.
- Stotzky Park will get a new playground in time for next spring, if the Riverhead Town Board approves a proposal put together by Councilman George Gabrielsen and parks and recreation superintendent Raymond Coyne.
- Groups request funding through town’s 2015 Community Development Block Grant, town board approves monthly low-cost spay/neuter clinic at Pfeifer Center, agreement with Costco site developer, zoning and parking code changes and a bunch of special event permits for 2015.
- PBMC plans Riverhead ‘hospital annex’ in Gateway Plaza — a freestanding building in front of Bob’s Discount Furniture on Route 58 — where urgent care and other services will be provided.
Town board abolishes personnel department; two council members call it retribution against ‘whistle-blower’Council members Jodi Giglio and George Gabrielsen say Supervisor Sean Walter sought to abolish personnel department to punish department head for blowing the whistle on financial administrator, who “has the supervisor’s ear,” according to Gabrielsen.
- The Harlem Wizards put the FUN back in fundraiser with a madcap game against Riverhead faculty on the high school basketball court Wednesday night. Photos.
- Roanoke Avenue Elementary School held its annual Thanksgiving feast today. Photo slideshow.
- Riverhead Blue Waves lacrosse standout Mark Andrejack, of Jamesport, will attend Adelphi University on an athletic scholarship to play lacrosse.
- Riverhead High School lacrosse midfielder Amanda Dickerson has signed to play lacrosse at Pace University next year.
- For the first time in three years, the bus carrying the Riverhead Blue Waves football team home from a playoff game drove past the victory bell. Riverhead was eliminated by Half Hollow Hills West, 28-13.
- With the arrival of cold and flue season, health officials want residents and health care professionals alike to ‘Get Smart’ about antibiotics use.
- The Thanksgiving holiday is a reminder that God’s blessings also can be bittersweet, but much to be grateful for nonetheless.
- Hosting holiday celebrations means doing a household scrub-down — which can be full of surprises. Laughs plus a ‘Whiskey Seduction’ to help you recover.
- Bye, bye dry bird. With this simple trick, the perfect is soaked right in for a moist, turkey Thanksgiving turkey. In the Kitchen this week with Kayleigh.
- This week, organizing pro Mimi Corwin walks you through ridding your house (and life) of paper products, from stray greeting cards to art projects and beyond. The paper chase challenge is on.
- Every day, especially in our social-media-driven world, we face choices between doing God’s will or catering to our innate need for approval.
- How to pry your teenage son away from his video games and get him to actually go outside and enjoy activity — with his dad. Seriously, it can be done.
Public Meetings Calendar