- Today is the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year and the official start of winter. Winter solstice has been celebrated throughout the millennia with feasting and merrymaking.
- Hundreds of Riverhead children in need will have presents under the tree this Christmas, thanks to the combined efforts of John Wesley Village, the Salvation Army and numerous local donors.
- Suffolk County’s new area code will be 934, the New York State Public Service Commission today announced today. Local telephone companies have been directed to activate the new 934 area code before the end of the third quarter of 2016. The commission chose to implement the new area code as an “overlay” ...
PBMC needs hospital annex because ER is ‘at capacity,’ hospital official tells Riverhead Planning BoardWait times can be more than 6 hours long at PBMC’s ER, which sees 38,000 patients a year, according to hospital officials. The strain on the ER can be relieved by treating less serious cases at the proposed annex.
- The newly renovated commercial building features a range of fully furnished office spaces, shared amenities and flexible lease terms for small businesses.
Calverton resident seeks to stop sale of former firehouse, files $10 million notice of claim against Riverhead TownGreg Fischer files notice of claim, seeks to enjoin sale of Second Street firehouse and $10 million in punitive damages.
Town and village police departments to see $6 million more in sales tax revenue sharing under deal announced yesterdaySuffolk County officials yesterday announced a three-year agreement that will increase sales tax revenues for town and village police agencies by $6 million. Riverhead will see an extra $178,900 in 2015 — money which has already been spent in the town’s adopted budget.
LIPA chooses four Calverton solar proposals, including one at EPCAL, among all-solar array of 11 projectsRiverhead Town will see rental revenues of more than a half-million dollars annually in a land lease or several million dollars in a sale in connection with a solar power plant proposal for the Calverton Enterprise Park selected by LIPA today.
- Students and faculty at Bishop McGann-Mercy Diocesan High School are challenged to “Live Mercy” by walking in the footsteps of Christ and helping those around them. To facilitate the altruistic ...
- In a see-saw match at Riverhead High School Wednesday night, Riverhead finished with the final blow, winning its first league meet of the season, 45-41.
- For the first time in four or five seasons, Riverhead wrestling coach Wade Davey finally has a team with more than one or two seniors on it.
- Dramatic finish to Blue Waves’ season opener: Riverhead sinks winning basket with seconds left on clock. Photo slideshow.
State health department publishes draft medical marijuana regulations; public comment period begins Dec. 31The draft rules, released by the health department yesterday, govern the manufacture, distribution, prescription and use of marijuana for medical purposes.
- In the wake of the cold-blooded killings of two NYPD officers, people everywhere should remain vigilant.
- What happens when someone who’s always done shopping by Nov. 1 finds herself unprepared the week before Christmas? Seasonal humor from Laurie Nigro.
- There are a lot of angels in the Christmas story. God uses angels throughout salvation history to make special announcements for all people and to present specific calls to individuals. In the narratives of Christ’s birth the angels have a very special message that speaks to all of us, even today. Before the birth of Christ, ...
- Don’t fret about hosting that holiday dinner party. This rosemary Dijon-crusted rack of lamb is a crowd-pleaser that’s easy to make with these tips from Kayleigh.
- Even the most organized person can feel scattered in a busy family. Learn how to organize your family’s schedule digitally in this week’s A Pro at Organizing.
- Murphy’s Law makes preparing her husband for a business trip, well, interesting for Laurie Nigro. Whiskey or weapons? What will it be?
Public Meetings Calendar