Southampton Councilwoman Bridget Fleming to run for county legislature; Schneiderman eyeing supervisor’s seatSouth Fork political candidates continue to swap seats this week as Southampton Town Councilwoman Bridget Fleming announced yesterday that she’s garnered the Democratic nomination to run for Suffolk County Legislature. She’ll be seeking the seat held by Jay Schneiderman in the second legislative district and, in a game of political switcheroo, ...
- Most people can’t remember a time when Patricia Skura wasn’t in the middle school office, where she’d been a fixture since 1988. Before that, she was a special ed aide for eight years. “I adore the children,” she said.
- An online forum where users browse and share nude photos from high schools around the country has a section specifically for Riverhead High School.
Downtown businesses say ‘no’ to Guardian Angels, but owners near LIRR station say they’d welcome patrolsThe Riverhead BID board is taking a public stance against Guardian Angel patrols, saying they will tarnish Riverhead’s image, but owners in the area surrounding the railroad station — where Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa says the group will target — believe their presence will deter crime.
- Riverhead police officer Timothy Murphy was honored — yet again — for making the most DWI arrests on the Riverhead police force in 2014. He was one of 22 “top cops” in Suffolk County. Murphy was among a group of 22 officers honored Tuesday by Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone, along ...
- Sound Avenue will be closed for road work most of the day tomorrow (Friday, May 22) between County Road 105 and Roanoke Avenue.
- Boy Scout Troop 94 of Wading River honored four new Eagle Scouts Saturday in a Court of Honor ceremony at St. Mark’s Roman Catholic Church Parish Hall in Shoreham. Jeremy Bornstein, of Wading River, refurbished and moved a gazebo onto a new foundation at the Brookhaven Volunteer Firefighter’s Museum. Jeremy has ...
Lethal toxin in local waterway reaches highest levels ever measured, but turtle die-off remains a mysteryIn addition to hundreds of dead turtles, thousands of dead bunker and at least three sea birds on the shores of Flanders Bay worry environmental scientists.
- Most people can’t remember a time when Patricia Skura wasn’t in the middle school office, where she’d been a fixture since 1988. Before that, she was a special ed aide ...
- The last Riverhead team standing in the postseason fell Saturday in a 10-0 defeat against No. 10 Half Hollow Hills East.
- “That was a true playoff game,” Coach Jeff Doroski said. “I’m proud of the way the kids played.”
- “We put Riverhead on the map this year,” senior defenseman Raheem Brown said.
- There are a lot of very exciting reports finally coming in! It feels like Aqua-Christmas on the Peconic Bay and the presents are big fluke and porgies.
- New restrictions designed to reduce harvest of black sea bass in N.Y. waters have been proposed by the state Department of Environmental Conservation.
- If the town allows the Guardian Angels to patrol in Riverhead, it should enter into an indemnification agreement to protect our taxpayers. Legal fees to get that drawn up would be better spent on police overtime.
- Many questions remain unanswered about the proposition on Tuesday’s ballot authorizing the borrowing of $3.5 million to renovate an Edwards Avenue site for use as a new transportation facility.
- ‘Normal women don’t ask for brooms and dust pans for Christmas.’ True. But no one, especially not her husband, would ever accuse Laurie Nigro of being ‘normal.’
- I’ll be the first to admit that, if given the opportunity or the choice, I like going out to eat. I work in a kitchen for a living and I don’t always want to create a meal when I get home.
- Retired Riverhead Police Det. Tim Hubbard speaks his mind on what’s needed to tackle public safety issues downtown: better deployment of cops, stepped-up code enforcement and holding absentee landlords accountable — not the Guardian Angels. (Opinion column.)
- Being an organic locavore foodie mom means entering a whole new world. But just look at the ingredients on that box of Cookie Crisp! And who puts guar gum in bouillon?
- Spring is here in full force! Before you go outside, remember to take a few steps to reduce your risk of getting skin cancer.
- Watch along with Michele as she guides you through a workout set to song that you can do in your own home.
Public Meetings Calendar