- A paralyzing blizzard has dumped more than two feet of snow in Riverhead and across much of Suffolk, where the East End was hardest hit.
- Closings, cancellations and delays as a result of the impending blizzard in Riverhead and surrounding areas.
Town-wide state of emergency, travel ban tonight, as NWS ramps up snow total and wind speed predictionsRiverhead will have a town-wide state of emergency and travel ban tonight, as NWS ups snow totals and wind speed predictions for East End.
- The most vulnerable on the East End, the area’s growing homeless population, will be sheltered during the massive blizzard scheduled to slam the area tonight. Tracey Lutz, executive director of Maureen’s Haven, a program that provides shelter for the homeless at area houses of worship, said tonight, all homeless guests are ...
- Riverhead firefighters found records burning in a second-story storage room at the county center this afternoon.
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo has declared a state of emergency in downstate New York. Resources from upstate, including 750 plows, will be deployed in the downstate area.
National Weather Service warning:
‘a life-threatening, potentially historic winter storm’ to impact East EndLocal officials prepare for blizzard: up to two feet of snow, frigid temperatures and wind gusts of more than 50 MPH forecast for late today through Tuesday.
- At around 3 p.m., Jamesport Fire Department responded to the scene at the intersection of Sound Avenue and Manor Lane with an engine, a heavy rescue truck and fire police to control traffic at the scene.
Phillips Avenue School opens district’s first in-school food pantry, serves 71 people on first eveningThe pantry is a joint effort of the school and the Island Harvest food bank, serving a student population where more than 80 percent of the children are eligible for ...
- The Blue Waves punched their ticket to the playoffs for the ninth time in 10 year tonight with a 64-33 win over Half Hollow Hills West at home.
- McGann-Mercy came from behind to eke out a win in the final seconds of a game in Southold tonight, defeating the Clippers by a score of 49-48. Photos.
- All the buzz on Saturday afternoon at Riverhead high school was about the 20/20 and we’re not talking about vision. Though Riverhead’s Sam Dunn doesn’t wear glasses and may very well have 20/20 vision, her production on the court against West Islip proved she can not only see but score and rebound, too. Dunn finished with 21 points and a ...
A message before the blizzard from Highway Superintendent Gio Woodson: How we plow and how you can help usThe intent of this message is to advise Town of Riverhead residents of our highway department ’s winter snow plowing and anti-icing/de-icing goals and objectives. The cooperation and understanding of all residents is essential for the highway department to achieve the objective of maintaining or restoring the roadways open and safe for travel as promptly ...
- Pioneer life in the 21st century can be crazy with two kids, three dogs, two cats and a pig — especially with your husband in Vegas (again).
- You can make your own delicious NY deli-style pastrami even without a smoker. Try this delicious recipe from Kayleigh Van Vliet Baig.
- Zeldin criticizes the president’s proposal to raise taxes on upper income earners and large financial institutions as ‘aggravated class warfare.’ Instead of higher taxes for ‘hardworking job creators,’ taxes and regulations should be cut, he says, to ‘reward success’ and spur economic growth that will benefit workers.
- In this week’s workout, Michele McGovern shows you how to spice up your winter routine with a fun treadmill workout.
- January 19, 2015 is a landmark anniversary for RiverheadLOCAL. It’s the date five years ago we incorporated and officially became Riverhead’s only locally owned, independently operated, advertiser supported online news outlet.
- Parents and families packed a forum on type 1 diabetes sponsored by PBMC and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Saturday at the Riverhead hospital.
- This week’s low-impact workout can be done using only a chair. Join Michele McGovern, personal trainer, with the Weekly Workout every Saturday.
Public Meetings Calendar