Community News and Events
- The Special Olympics is partnering with The All Star in Riverhead to form a Special Olympics bowling team.
Celebrating a leader’s spirit and determination: Annual 5K raises more than $20,000 for breast cancer servicesThe North Fork Breast Health Coalition’s 16th Annual 5K Walk at Tanger Outlets yesterday raised more than $20,000 to support local breast cancer patients. It was an emotional day for organizers, who are grieving the sudden passing of the group’s president last month. Photo slideshow.
- The snappers were scarce but the sunshine and family fun were plentiful in downtown Riverhead today, where the Riverhead Recreation Department hosted the 17th Annual Snapper Tournament on the Peconic Riverfront.
- The 150-year-old Roman Catholic parish is undertaking a fundraising campaign to repair and improve its aging buildings and facilities, as well as to pay down its diocesan debt. The parish already has pledges totaling more than $700,000 on its $750,000 goal, but has set a ‘dream goal’ of $1.1 million.
- Showing off his dragster at downtown Riverhead car show, Aquebogue driver laments lack of local track.
- Riverhead Blue Waves volleyball booster club’s flapjacks fundraiser at Applebee’s yesterday was a huge success. Photo slideshow.
- Riverhead’s team, comprising children entering grades 6 through 9, placed seventh out of 39 Suffolk library teams in a Jeopardy-like competition at Stony Brook University last month.
- Photo slideshow: The Riverhead American Legion Post 273’s 20th annual pig roast, where longtime commander Larry Judd was honored for his service.
- Meet Raimundo Sandoval, 16, of Rancagua, Chile, who is entering the 11th grade at Riverhead H.S. today.
- Men on lawnmowers raced around the dirt track behind the Elks Lodge in Riverhead yesterday, a tradition dating back to 2002.
- All four winners in this year’s 10K and 5K races were first-time entrants in the annual Jamesport Fire Department event.