- Riverhead Little League players took the field at Stotzky Park this morning for the 2015 season opening ceremonies, the last opening day for retiring league president Anthony Sammartano. The veteran Little League officer is calling it quits at the conclusion of the season — his 18th year with the league and 15th as its president. “Tony kept Riverhead Little League vital ...
- Volunteers pulled trash out of the Peconic River and picked up trash in Grangebel Park today Hyatt Place East End’s third annual Earth Day cleanup. downtown
- Poking around a dusty old barn on a rain-soaked April morning might not seem like a fun time to most teenagers, but young history students learned otherwise at Hallockville Museum Farm today. Photos.
- The second annual event, which was moved from Hallockville farm to Polish Town this year, drew more than 1,000 people to the Long Ireland Beer Co. brewery site Sunday afternoon.
Under new management: Diocese enforces rules at St. John’s Cemetery, clears out decorations, perennial plantsSome family members visiting their loved ones’ graves for Easter were surprised and angered to find memorial decorations, plaques and plants gone from the grave sites.
- During the internship, students fed the newborn calf and baby goats, sterilized bottles and prepared the goat cheese to sell at the Farmer’s Market on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Photos: Hot dogs, hot rods and sunny skies draw thousands to Riverhead Move the Animal Shelter eventThousands flocked to Splish Splash yesterday for cars, live music and flea-market style vendors at the Riverhead Move the Animal Shelter’s fourth annual Hogs and Hot Rods event.
- Pepper, an 8-year-old gray cat, first disappeared from her home on Mill Road a full week ago, on Friday, April 3.
- The Little Red Mill (circa 1659) is credited by historians as being the first saw mill ever erected on Long Island. It was the first of many mills powered by the Peconic River.
- Thirty musicians made one old guitar sing in thirty different ways for Our Redeemer’s “One Guitar” project, which resulted in a double album to benefit Maureen’s Haven homeless shelter.
- Passover is an eight-day festival celebrated in memory of the emancipation of the Israelites from slavery in ancient Egypt.