Wheelchair-bound former Riverhead track star will walk again, but needs to raise money for six surgeries firstA lifelong athlete, Juliana Marcucci is no stranger to injuries. But she knew this one was different.
- A Kent Animal Shelter volunteer found ‘Minnie’ on Mill Road and brought her to the Calverton Shelter, where they checked RiverheadLOCAL and identified her.
- The Riverhead Police Benevolent Association will host a fundraiser Wednesday night at PeraBell to benefit the Ristau and Runnalls families, two local families who lost their homes and all their possessions in two devastating fires in August.
- Deaths from prescription drugs are now the leading cause of accidental death in the United States, outnumbering even traffic fatalities.
- Flanders Fire Department hosted its annual open house Sunday, offering demonstrations, education and family fun.
- Hundreds of people took a 5K stroll around Tanger Outlets in Riverhead Sunday morning, to raise breast cancer awareness and funds for the North Fork Breast Health Coalition.
- When Christine Pickard was sentenced to 40 hours community service for speeding, she decided to spend them volunteering at an animal shelter.
- Under blue sunny skies this afternoon, locals are chowing down on grilled chicken, corn, hot dogs and other barbecue fare at the Veterans of Foreign War’s annual chicken barbecue. Tickets are $15 for adults and $5 for children. The event, located at the V.F.W. Post on Parkway Street, lasts until 6 p.m. ...
- A Latino youth group at St. John the Evangelist presented the church pastor with a $2,000 check last night, the result of car wash fundraisers this summer. The youths raised the money for church renovations and repairs.
- It’s that time of year again. Those big yellow buses will be rolling early tomorrow morning and school children will be on the streets heading back to school.
- The area was a large open field that was previously used for pickup baseball and soccer games now sports a modern playground for neighborhood kids, with a safety bonded rubber surface.