- Most people can’t remember a time when Patricia Skura wasn’t in the middle school office, where she’d been a fixture since 1988. Before that, she was a special ed aide for eight years. “I adore the children,” she said.
- Riverhead police officer Timothy Murphy was honored — yet again — for making the most DWI arrests on the Riverhead police force in 2014. He was one of 22 “top cops” in Suffolk County. Murphy was among a group of 22 officers honored Tuesday by Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone, along ...
- Boy Scout Troop 94 of Wading River honored four new Eagle Scouts Saturday in a Court of Honor ceremony at St. Mark’s Roman Catholic Church Parish Hall in Shoreham. Jeremy Bornstein, of Wading River, refurbished and moved a gazebo onto a new foundation at the Brookhaven Volunteer Firefighter’s Museum. Jeremy has ...
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan of New York presented the North Fork Spanish Apostolate with a community grant for $25,000 on Friday, May 15. The grant will fund literacy and health advocacy programs. “Not enough positive things can be said about the work that Sister Margaret does here in the community,” Riverhead Town ...
- Remaining show dates are May 21, 22 23, 24, 28, 29, 30, and 31. All shows are at 8 p.m. except for Sunday matinees at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased at 631-298-NFCT or by going to www.nfct.com.
- “Amazing,” was how Riverhead High School principal Charles Regan characterized the turnout for the footrace that took runners from the district’s main campus in a 5K loop through local neighborhood streets.
- Forty-five children competed for brand new bikes and other prizes Sunday in PAL’s annual bicycle safety event for kids grades K-6.
Riverhead Volunteer Ambulance kicks of EMS week with open house and dedication of Behr/Stone memorialMay 17 began National EMS Week and RVAC marked the event with a ceremony dedicating a memorial to members Heidi Behr and Bill Stone prior to RVAC’s open house, which this year featured CPR training, a program that earned RVAC a Gold Medal Community CPR award last week.
Police, CAP volunteers collect over 100 pounds of prescription drugs at first drive-up drug take-back eventRiverhead Police collected 102 pounds of prescription and over-the-counter medications Saturday at the first annual Drug Take-Back Drive-Through Event.
- Riverhead Fire Department Ex-Cheif Joseph Gadzinski was honored Tuesday night at the Riverhead Fire Department for 50 years of service as a firefighter.
An Angel among us: Riverhead restaurant owner talks about his time as a Guardian Angel in New York CityJohn Mantzopoulos, who was a member of the group in the mid-1980s in NYC, says he doesn’t believe the Guardian Angels are needed in Riverhead, where the Latino gang problem is not as much of a problem as some think.