- Riverhead’s all-time point leader is third in the league in points at NYIT, where she transferred this year as a sophomore.
- Three guys got together to build a monster snow man on Lincoln Street. Juno stands more than 10 feet tall.
- Riverhead Fire Department’s policy change, allowing vols to join as class B (exterior) firefighters brought nine new members — and four top responders— in 2014.
- Family and friends remembered Barbara Tocci at a graveside service to mark the one-year anniversary of the collision that claimed her life, asking others to “pass it forward” by doing a “random act of kindness” in her memory.
- Today marks one year since Jamesport resident Jim Callaghan died tragically after being struck by a car while jogging on Main Road in Laurel. Together, over 25 loved ones and friends, including his wife Jennifer and children, gathered in the cold and wind at 5:45 a.m., the moment of the accident, to light Chinese lanterns and ...
- Opening night of the North Fork Community Theatre’s latest production takes place Friday at 8 p.m.
- A Riverhead High School freshman has won a concerto competition at Stony Brook University, earning her a performance as a soloist with the University Symphony Orchestra this spring.
- The Stotzky Park ice rink is now open to the public for skating free of charge to town residents, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily, “as long as the weather holds,” Councilman George Gabrielsen said Sunday.
On one-year anniversary of his death, remembrance ceremony planned by widow of jogger killed on Main RoadTo mark one year since he died after being hit while jogging on Route 25, Jim Callaghan’s widow plans an early morning remembrance service at the accident site January 16.
Fighting cancer with generosity:
In advance of grueling chemo regimen, Riverhead woman donates her hairWhen doctors warned Denise Lucas that the aggressive course of chemotherapy she was about to begin would damage her hair, instead of feeling sorry for herself, the Riverhead resident had an inspiration.
- The Riverhead hospital welcomed its first baby born in 2015 at 8:45 a.m. Jan. 2, a healthy baby girl delivered by Dr. Zeinab Fath-El Bab.
- Riverhead Blue Waves basketball players worked to clean up Osborn Avenue last Saturday morning, picking up litter from Route 58 south to Youngs Avenue.
Riverhead Blue Waves midfielder on Team Long Island will compete for USA against Canada in Brogden CupRiverhead Blue Waves junior midfielder Austin Fitzpatrick is on the L.I. team traveling to Tampa for the Brogden Cup series next month. Team Long Island will face off against Maryland and teams from Canada.
- The inspirational story of how a Jamesport woman and her family learned to cope with a child’s chronic illness: “The difficulties are overwhelming,” Eileen Benthal says. “They just never stop. ‘You have to learn a new way of living.’
- Riverhead Police Officers and their children distributed turkey dinners and Christmas presents to needy families throughout the town on Tuesday.