- It was cloudy with a chance of meatballs at Polish Hall yesterday, where hundreds of locals braved flooded roads and dreary skies for Rotary’s annual spaghetti lunch and dinner. Chicken parmigiana was on the menu this year, in addition to the traditional spaghetti and meatballs entree. More than 750 meals were served over the course of the ...
Riverhead’s ‘bubble boy': Fourth-grader at Aquebogue goes to school for first time in his life using an iPadEight-year-old Gabriel can’t eat any foods, or even be in a room that might have food products. But this year, for the first time in his life, he has been able to go to school – using FaceTime.
Riverhead Rotarians serving up Italian fare today in fundraiser to support local charities & scholarshipsThe Riverhead Rotary Club is hosting its annual fundraising spaghetti lunch and dinner today at Polish Hall. Spaghetti & meatballs, chicken parm, salad, garlic bread, dessert & coffee. Eat in or take out. Lunch: 12 noon-2 p.m. Dinner 4-8 p.m. Support the Rotary Scholarship fund and enjoy a great meal with family and friends.
- The McDonald’s on Route 58 will host a fundraiser March 18 for the Lawrence family, to honor the memory of Danielle Lawrence, friend and classmate of many workers there.
- The competition was fierce in the Fifth Annual Crazy Sports Night at Riverhead High School last night, but high school teachers and staff edged out the middle school and Aquebogue teams to take home the coveted trophy for the second time in the wildly popular event’s brief history. Photos and video.
- Former Riverhead Blue Waves lacrosse players surrounded their beloved coach Tony Lawrence last night at Digger’s during fundraiser for the Lawrence family organized by the lacrosse team’s former manager and attended by throngs of people from across the Riverhead community.
- For many, they are simply playthings, a ubiquitous element of childhood that is eventually stuffed into a dusty attic or thrown to the curb when their caretakers grow too old for them. But dolls offer an invaluable snapshot of the past, a physical representation of evolving cultural norms and values that span hundreds of years. “You can really develop a narrative of African-American history by ...
Lacrosse alumni to host fundraiser at Digger’s Thursday to benefit family of beloved former coach, Tony LawrenceFormer lacrosse team manager Kelsey Stark will guest-bartend at the event organized by alumni to help their former coach, Tony Lawrence in tragedy’s aftermath.
- A group of strangers came together to give one little girl a very special Valentine’s Day surprise.
- The exhibit features nearly two hundred Afrocentric dolls from Dr. Judith Kronin’s collection and offers a unique perspective on black history in America.
Gratitude a best seller at Pulaski: Students raise big money for cleft repair surgeries … selling rocksPulaski Street School students have raised more than $1,700 selling “gratitude rocks,” to help finance cleft repair surgeries for children around the world.
- Firefighter William G. (“Billy”) Hubbard, 86, joined the Riverhead Fire Department Feb. 15, 1955 and is one of its longest-serving living members.
- The Riverhead varsity cheerleading squad returned home to a noisy welcome Monday night at Riverhead High School after competing at the National High School Cheerleading Competition in Orlando, Florida this weekend, where they advanced to the semifinals for the first time in program history.
- A record number of people turned out for an annual blood drive yesterday hosted at St. Isidore’s kindergarten teacher Cathleen Walter for the past nine years.
Riverhead alumna Julia Morrow pitches perfect game for Tampa — followed by a no hitter the very next dayThe only pitcher to throw a perfect game in Riverhead softball history notched another perfect game in college Saturday. Her encore? A no-hitter on Sunday.