Retailers, hoping to lure sale-seekers from their holiday tables, opening earlier than ever this Thanksgiving DayNational and local retailers will be open around Riverhead this Thanksgiving Day. Here’s a rundown of stores that are open — and which ones will stay closed.
- Riverhead Police warn residents about a phone scam by caller pretending to be an IRS agent who demands immediate payment via Green Dot wire transfer.
- Riverhead ambulance corps chief was suspended by the corps board of directors in July. RVAC members upset by lack of information, question the suspension.
- Only about one-third of the arrests made by Riverhead Police are being disclosed to reporters compiling crime reports, a RiverheadLOCAL analysis disclosed.
County jail draws Latino gang members to Riverhead, which is MS-13 ‘base': Guardian Angels founder Curtis SliwaHundreds of Latino gang members are inmates at county jail, drawing other gang members to Riverhead, which is a base for MS-13 in Suffolk, according to Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa.
- The National Weather Service is tracking a developing coastal low expected to pass near the 40/70 benchmark Wednesday night, which could mean ‘warning level’ snowfall across the region.
Would-be thieves cut copper lines in vacant downtown Riverhead building, cause oil spill on Peconic RiverfrontThe spilt oil discharged from a sump in the building into the parking lot storm drains, then percolated to the surface after heavy rains earlier this week, Riverhead Fire Marshal Craig Zitek said.
- Stotzky Park will get a new playground in time for next spring, if the Riverhead Town Board approves a proposal put together by Councilman George Gabrielsen and parks and recreation superintendent Raymond Coyne.
- PBMC plans Riverhead ‘hospital annex’ in Gateway Plaza — a freestanding building in front of Bob’s Discount Furniture on Route 58 — where urgent care and other services will be provided.
Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa: Riverhead is ‘epicenter’ of Latino gang activity; no way, says town police chiefGuardian Angel founder calls Riverhead, ‘a conduit’ for Latino gangs throughout the East End, which Riverhead police chief adamantly denies.
- Getting a movie theater built in Riverhead has proved to be an elusive goal, despite five town board permits being issued for proposed theaters since 1996 and behind-the-scenes negotiations by town officials with movie company executives and developers.