- Closings, cancellations and delays as a result of the impending blizzard in Riverhead and surrounding areas.
Town-wide state of emergency, travel ban tonight, as NWS ramps up snow total and wind speed predictionsRiverhead will have a town-wide state of emergency and travel ban tonight, as NWS ups snow totals and wind speed predictions for East End.
- The most vulnerable on the East End, the area’s growing homeless population, will be sheltered during the massive blizzard scheduled to slam the area tonight. Tracey Lutz, executive director of Maureen’s Haven, a program that provides shelter for the homeless at area houses of worship, said tonight, all homeless guests are ...
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo has declared a state of emergency in downstate New York. Resources from upstate, including 750 plows, will be deployed in the downstate area.
National Weather Service warning:
‘a life-threatening, potentially historic winter storm’ to impact East EndLocal officials prepare for blizzard: up to two feet of snow, frigid temperatures and wind gusts of more than 50 MPH forecast for late today through Tuesday.
- Snowfall is expected to reach 20-30 inches.
- Slushy, slick roads could lead to treacherous conditions as black ice forms overnight, according to the National Weather Service.
- Sleet and rain are falling after a few inches of snow overnight, making local roads and sidewalks slushy, Riverhead Highway Supt. George Woodson said.
- Assembly Democrats publicly stood behind the speaker after his arrest on federal corruption charges yesterday, as the Republican minority called for his immediate resignation.
- Diane O’Neill, 65, charged with DWI after an accident that killed a 90-year-old pedestrian Jan 13 has retired from her teaching job of more than 20 years.
- After two years of construction, Riverhead Charter School is officially operating out of its new $14.1 million school building, which it unveiled at a ceremony at the school today. The new, two-story building includes bigger classrooms with updated technology, a library, an administration wing, new art, music and science classrooms and ...