Online petition asks Gov. Cuomo, County Exec Bellone to ‘clear the fire lanes’ in Flanders pine barrensA petition at Change.org asks Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone to clear the fire lanes in Flanders pine barrens, to allow firefighters access to fight wildfires on the 11,000 acres of publicly owned preserved land.
- The cost of a treatment system to remove the contaminant perchlorate from the town’s newest public water well has risen to $740,000
- The Riverhead Water District will conduct the annual spring flushing of its water mains now through May 10. Here’s what to do if your water looks discolored. Plus instructions for flushing the pipes in your own home.
Some relief dawns on horizon as East Hampton approves helicopter restrictions; some have reservationsAfter months of public outcry and many meetings on the East End to address the escalating and controversial issue, the East Hampton town board adopted legislation Thursday restricting helicopter traffic at the town airport.
Governor issues health alert on dangers of illegal synthetic marijuana: hundreds are hospitalized since April 8Calls to New York State poison control centers due to the use of synthetic cannabinoids increased dramatically in the last two weeks, the governor said in the warning.
Parking garages or metered parking? As downtown parking nears ‘crisis’ level, officials debate solutionsFinding a parking spot downtown has become an increasingly difficult endeavor as more stores, restaurants and apartments have opened up on Main Street, according to local business owners and residents.
Angry firefighters: policymakers ‘have no clue’ about dangers of battling wildfires in Flanders pine barrensFirefighters on the ground battling the April 11 Flanders brush fire are angry about county executive’s remarks that what they need is ‘training’ and by pine barrens commission’s reluctance to clear fire lanes, remove dead trees over concern for wildlife habitat.
- A first look at what North Shore-LIJ, the 14th largest health system in the U.S. has planned for PBMC: Establishing a cardiac cath lab in Riverhead to serve the East End is its top priority.
Officials unveil plan for new brush fire training course in Yaphank; Flanders fire department renews call for helpCounty and state officials Monday announced plans for a permanent brush fire training course in Yaphank. But Flanders Fire Chief Joe Pettit said, “Our problem is not lack of training or lack of experience. It’s the condition of the forest.”
North Fork documentary: Filmmaker seeks subjects for his documentary, aims to capture life on the North ForkFilmmaker Scott Goldberg will document the North Fork over the course of a year, beginning this summer. He is still looking for subjects to interview.
Local fire chiefs: Condition of county-owned lands damaged trucks, risked lives during Flanders wildfire SaturdayFire chiefs angry with government land stewards over condition of preserved land. Video shows struggles of volunteer firefighters battling a wildfire in Flanders Saturday, where dead, downed trees on the county-owned preserve damaged three brush trucks, one of which had to be towed out of the woods.
- They came, they saw, they cleaned. About 35 volunteers showed up for the Riverhead BID’s first “Riverhead Clean — 2015” downtown cleanup yesterday. Volunteers scoured Main Street, the riverfront, downtown alleys and John Lombardi Memorial Park, stuffing dozens of plastic trash bags with litter. Councilman John Dunleavy, the town board liaison to the Riverhead BID Management Association ...
- Police are set to crack down this week on drivers who don’t stop for the flashing red lights of school buses. Operation Safe Stop will take place on Thursday, as local law enforcement officials follow school bus routes to enforce the law and keep children safe. Operation Safe Stop is a cooperative project supported by the New ...
- Ronan Guyer would have turned 17 years old this month. But the North Fork teen will not celebrate his birthday on April 24; Ronan died tragically when he was only 14, after sudden cardiac arrest during a warm-up before the New York State cross-country championships in Elma. And now his grandparents, Barbara and John Schmidt of Wading ...
Three years after wildfire ripped through pine barrens in Manorville, Flanders fire chiefs worry and waitHundreds of homes are tucked into 11,000 acres of preserved pine barrens in the Flanders Fire District, where a lack of maintenance by the government entities that own the woodlands has created a dangerous situation, according to Flanders Fire Chief Joe Petit.