Would-be thieves cut copper lines in vacant downtown Riverhead building, cause oil spill on Peconic RiverfrontThe spilt oil discharged from a sump in the building into the parking lot storm drains, then percolated to the surface after heavy rains earlier this week, Riverhead Fire Marshal Craig Zitek said.
- Stotzky Park will get a new playground in time for next spring, if the Riverhead Town Board approves a proposal put together by Councilman George Gabrielsen and parks and recreation superintendent Raymond Coyne.
- PBMC plans Riverhead ‘hospital annex’ in Gateway Plaza — a freestanding building in front of Bob’s Discount Furniture on Route 58 — where urgent care and other services will be provided.
Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa: Riverhead is ‘epicenter’ of Latino gang activity; no way, says town police chiefGuardian Angel founder calls Riverhead, ‘a conduit’ for Latino gangs throughout the East End, which Riverhead police chief adamantly denies.
- Getting a movie theater built in Riverhead has proved to be an elusive goal, despite five town board permits being issued for proposed theaters since 1996 and behind-the-scenes negotiations by town officials with movie company executives and developers.
- Riverhead school’s ‘panic alarm’ not reported to town police by alarm company for seven minutes after building principal pressed the button.
Realistic ‘active shooter’ drill held at Riley Avenue tests school, emergency response to horrifying scenarioWhat if a gunman enters a local elementary school and starts shooting? Riverhead school officials, students, police and emergency workers responded to that awful scenario today in a large-scale drill at Riley Avenue Elementary School. Photos.
Joyful production of ‘Godspell’ in Jamesport a powerful tour de force, celebrating love and communityIt’s not often an audience spontaneously and simultaneously leaps to their feet at the end of a show, clapping and cheering, dancing and singing long after the last notes of the final song are played. But that’s exactly what happened Friday night as the Riverhead Faculty and Community Theatre presented opening night of their production of ...
Faced with new regs aimed at pushing him offshore, Flyboard Long Island owner says he may leave RiverheadWith Riverhead officials planning to implement new rules that would force him a minimum of 300 feet off shore, Jimmy Bissett says he may move his flyboarding operation to another town.
- The Riverhead Farmers Market will include crafts vendors for the holiday season beginning Nov. 22, Riverhead BID president Raymond Pickersgill said.
- The former Peconic Baykeeper, a Quogue resident who was fired from his position after almost two decades at the helm, has unveiled a new not-for-profit group, “Defend H2O”, aimed at protecting and restoring water quality across Long Island.
Riverhead Farmers Market is now a weekend event: to open both Saturday and Sunday beginning this weekBeginning this weekend, the Riverhead Farmers Market will be open on Sundays as well as Saturdays. Its Sunday hours: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- A series of mishaps at Riverhead’s Snowflake Regatta this year captured on a video that’s gone viral and attracted international media attention.
Riverhead horse farm owner faces federal conspiracy charge, held without bail in $10M embezzlement caseAn owner of Serendipity Farm on Mill Road, confessed to stealing $10 million from his family’s HVAC contracting company, federal prosecutors said. He was ordered held without bail “as a danger to the community” after a federal magistrate heard testimony of threats against family members.
- Riverhead’s police and emergency services will put themselves through the paces Saturday in a school shooting drill, RiverheadLOCAL has learned. The location and time of the mock mass casualty incident is being kept under wraps, with only certain high level school, police and emergency service officials aware of the details. “The goal is for this to be ...