PBMC plan to merge with North Shore is ‘mission-driven,’ hospital officials say, but decision angers state senatorThe community’s need for cardiac care services, a trauma center and cancer care services drove PBMC’s decision to merge with North Shore-LIJ, which made commitments to fill those needs, hospital officials said.
As community-based alternatives reduce inmate population, Suffolk gets reprieve on costly new jail expansionNew community-based programs focused on rehabilitation and treatment for nonviolent offenders have helped reduce Suffolk’s inmate population so much that the state has approved at least a three-year delay on the construction of a planned 250-bed expansion at the minimum security jail in Yaphank.
Mother-daughter slayings in Wading River are an example of the growing incidence of ‘intimate partner homicide’Like Tanya Lawrence and her daughter, a staggering 33 percent of female murder victims are killed by an intimate partner. Suffolk County is implementing a new program to help educate domestic violence victims about the resources available to them.
- Details of the agreement will be released today, but Gov. Cuomo said the agreement includes “landmark education reforms and investment” as well as “ground-breaking ethics reform.”
As deadline for comments approaches, officials register opposition to more trucks on North Fork roadsIn advance of the March 31 deadline for written comments on the regional freight transportation plan that would bring an estimated 3,000 more trucks each year to North Fork roads, local officials register opposition with state.
- Baiting Hollow residents are worried that the proposed hard cider production/bottling facility and tasting room at the Grapes and Greens warehouse on Sound Avenue will be a “tourist magnet”
- The assistance Supervisor Sean Walter has been hoping to get from a state financing authority to refinance Riverhead’s staggering CPF bond debt is far from guaranteed.
Over Krupski’s objection, Suffolk legislators fund study of nuclear plant’s impacts on L.I. Sound temperaturesDeputy Presiding Officer Jay Schneiderman, sponsored the bill to fund the $79,000 study. It passed 11-5, with Legis. Al Krupski joining four Republicans in voting against the measure.
- A community is mourning tonight as news spreads of the passing of Capt. Joseph “Joe” Frohnhoefer, Jr., 71, founder and CEO of Sea Tow International who died at his Southold home after a battle with cancer. The loss of Frohnhoefer, said Cindy McCaffery, vice president of program development at Sea Tow, is “devastating.” Reflecting on the man ...
- Just 10 years ago, spotting a bald eagle on Long Island was almost unheard of. But thanks to decades of environmental conversation efforts and legislation, our nation’s mascot has become an increasingly frequent sight on the North Fork. “I’ve had about 50 sightings in the past year,” said Sean Keenan, a local wildlife activist and educator who lives in Rocky ...
- Anthony Coates, Supervisor Sean Walter’s former political adviser, who has over the past two years become an increasingly vocal critic of his former ally’s policies, has decided not to run for office.
Towns, villages settle Legal Aid Society suit over lack of private conference space in justice courtsRiverhead has agreed, in a stipulation of settlement, to modify a small conference room to create a safe place for confidential attorney-client meetings in Riverhead Justice Court, but the court facilities’ other problems — including overcrowding and security issues the justices say are urgent — remain unaddressed.
DeVito decides she wants another shot at supervisor; Northville Beach civic leader wants to run for councilJamesport-South Jamesport Civic president Angela DeVito, who ran on the Democratic line for town supervisor in 2013, has decided to give it another go this year and Northville Beach Civic Association president Neil Krupnick is seeking the Democratic nod for councilman.
- Former Riverhead police detective Tim Hubbard told RiverheadLOCAL he is not seeking any party’s nomination for town supervisor. An announcement by Riverhead Democrats this month that he was screening for the supervisor’s post was made in error, party chairwoman Marge Acevedo said this weekend.
- Riverhead Volunteer Ambulance Corps has its full complement of officers for 2015 and a new board president.