- For children with food allergies, Halloween can be heartbreaking, as friends head out for trick or treating and bags full of candy, while they’re left out of all the fun. But this year, according to Food Allergy Research & Education, or FARE, there’s a new initiative, the Teal Pumpkin Project, taking off that aims to let ...
- The leatherback, which was found without a head, had been decapitated with a sharp, straight instrument. Possession of a leatherback skull is illegal, as the species is endangered.
Transformation and renewal: What Riverhead can expect from WaterFire, as seen from a small town in western Pa.With the creator of the international arts festival WaterFire expressing interest in Riverhead as a new venue, RiverheadLOCAL looks at the impacts the festival has had on a small town in western Pennsylvania still struggling to recover from the collapse of the steel industry more than 20 years ago.
- Two westbound lanes of the LIE/495 in Riverhead will be closed between exits 71 and 70 overnight (10 pm-6 am) tonight and tomorrow night.
- A goat was found on Reeves Beach in Riverhead Monday night. The North Fork Animal Welfare League seeks to reunite it with its owner.
- Facing stiff opposition to a proposal to have the Main Road corridor listed on the national and state registers, Riverhead Landmark Preservation Commission decides to withdraw nomination
- The commercial real estate broker representing the company says the 5-acre Mill Road site just north of Main Street has already been sold.
- Longtime farm bureau executive director Joe Gergela, who’s retiring in December, received a leadership award from the North Fork Environmental Council Friday— and used the opportunity to advocate for farmers on pesticide use, overregulation, the deer cull and land preservation, among other things
- Only days before Halloween, the iconic Witch’s Hat, an iconic roadside structure on Main Road in Aquebogue, was dedicated on Saturday. The building, an official town landmark originally known as “The Lighthouse,” has undergone an 18-month rehabilitation in an effort spearheaded by the Riverhead Landmarks Preservation Committee and the Save Main Road civic group. “For such a ...
- The Riverhead Farmers’ Market has found a winter home on East Main Street: the former McCabe’s stationery store and onetime dinosaur museum. The BID plans to open the market on both Saturday and Sunday, its president, Raymond Pickersgill said.
New Ebola screening protocols, including mandatory quarantines, in NY; two returning travelers in Suffolk being monitoredAs state steps up monitoring of West Africa travelers, and announces mandatory quarantine of people who’ve had direct contact with Ebola victims, East Moriches school district alerts parents that relatives of an employee are among those being monitored, but employee “currently poses no risk.”
- The second annual “Taste North Fork” on Veterans Day weekend will include tastings, events, discounts & live music at the wineries , as well as a free “hop on-hop off” shuttle service that will circulate throughout the North Fork, connecting wineries and the region’s historic hamlets.
- Riverhead will pursue legislation to allow the highway department to plow private roads without assuming broader responsibilities for maintenance and repairs.
- Compliance with regulations and the sustainability of agriculture on L.I. were topics of discussion at today’s forum hosted by Rep. Tim Bishop.
- More than 100 customers in RIverhead Town remain in the dark early this morning, after a Nor’easter packing wind gusts of more than 45 mph churned across the island late last night, downing trees and power lines and knocking out power in Riverhead, Aquebogue and Wading River.