Town Hall Notebook
- Highlights of the Riverhead Town Board meeting on Nov. 17, 2015: law firm hired to defend federal lawsuit over use of water towers under leases with cellular companies; new accountant hired; ‘World Prematurity Day’ acknowledged.
- Eligible homeowners in Riverhead Town would have received state rebate checks this fall equal to the 2015-2016 increases in county, town and school property taxes — had all taxing entities kept within the statutory tax levy limit.
- Luminati Aerospace was deemed ‘qualified and eligible’ for a runway use agreement at the Calverton Enterprise Park during Wednesday’s town board meeting; also- shotgun hunting for deer, ambulance billing, budget and more.
State-imposed budget deadlines loom as Riverhead Town Board is set to hold its first budget discussion ThursdayNews analysis: The time for making tough decisions about the 2016 town budget is passing quickly and, once again, Riverhead Town Board members have shown no appetite for partaking in the budget process in any serious way.
Town board nixes medical marijuana moratorium, green-lights dispensary site over community objectionsAfter a heated discussion with residents who oppose it, the town board green-lights a new location for the medical marijuana dispensary coming to Riverhead.
- Riverhead officials will hear public comment tonight on a proposed local law authorizing the town board to override the state-imposed property tax cap for fiscal year 2016.
- A town alcohol policy was adopted yesterday, prohibiting alcohol at all events geared toward youth. The board also approved two controversial farm stand laws.
New farm stand code adopted: allows up to 40 percent ‘regionally grown’ produce, reduces minimum lot sizeA new code regulating farm stands was unanimously adopted yesterday by the Riverhead Town Board over the opposition of civic groups and residents who argue that it will have unintended consequences that may change the rural landscape of Riverhead Town.
New five-story, 45-unit apartment building on West Main Street, gains preliminary site plan approvalThe five-story, 45-unit apartment building proposed for West Main Street was granted preliminary site plan approval last night by the Riverhead Planning Board, which last night also issued a determination that the development will have no significant environmental impact.
Riverhead supervisor’s budget calls for 1.4 percent overall spending increase, 4.08 percent tax rate hikeRiverhead Town’s tax rate will increase 4.08 percent under the $54.3 million town spending plan Supervisor Sean Walter has proposed for fiscal year 2016. (Scroll down to view budget, below.) The tax rate would increase to $51.029 per $1,000 of assessed valuation under the supervisor’s proposal. That’s up $2 per thousand over last year’s town tax ...
Combining recreation and senior citizen departments will increase services, save money, department heads tell boardRiverhead’s senior citizen and recreation departments will be combined into one in a move that will increase programming and save the town about $1 million over the next five years, if a plan put together by the two department heads is approved by the town board.
- The debate, hosted by the Jamesport-South Jamesport Civic Association, will be open to all candidates for the Riverhead Town Board. Another debate next Wednesday will be held for candidates for town supervisor and town justice.
- At Wednesday night’s meeting, the town board authorized bow-hunting for deer on certain town-owned properties Oct. 5 – Dec. 6, added four more Baiting Hollow roads to the town’s list of “189 roads,” authorized an ad for a junior civil engineer, and backed out of a deal to sell the historic East Lawn building.
- PBMC Health gained site plan approval today for a planned 5,400-square-foot “annex” at Gateway Plaza on Route 58, where it will operate an urgent care and diagnostic imaging facility.
- The dozens of protesters who turned out at Town Hall last night all came with the same message: any longer of a wait would be too long for the patients in need of a life-saving, life-changing medication.